Make arrangements for transporting pets: Cats and Dogs
- Cats and dogs can be taken in your car. If you do this, remember to take along the following items:
- A leash for letting your pet out of the car.
- Newspaper or sheets to keep your car clean.
- If you are moving a long distance away, check ahead to see if the hotels where you are staying allows pets.
- Depending on the animal's temperament and size, it might be better to have your pet shipped by air. Be sure to check if your destination has any local requirements or restrictions on animals. Shipping Pets by Air
Shipping Pets by Air
- To have your pet shipped by air:
- Have someone meet your pet at the destination airport and take care of it until you arrive. Sometimes kennels can make these arrangements for you.
- If you are flying to your new destination, your cat or dog can ride in the baggage compartment. You may need the following items:
- Health certificate. Obtain this from your veterinarian.
- Pet container. Airlines may have special containers available, or you can use your own as long as it complies with airline regulations.
- Tranquilizers. Your vet can provide tranquilizers to be given to your pet immediately before going to the airport.
- Your scent. Your pet can be comforted by having a piece of cloth with your scent on it.
- Smaller Animals:
- Hamsters, birds, and other small animals can easily be transported in your car. To help keep the animals calm and quiet, cover cages with a cloth. Also, make sure they have food and water available.
- Fish - It can be very impractical and risky to move fish. Check with your local pet store for recommendations on moving your specific type of fish.
- Start using up pet food, so that there is less to pack and possibly spoil.